Monday

White as SNOW.

Reaction to versions of Snow White.

I grew up with the Brother's Grimm version of Snow White, so it was not a big deal for me to read variations. No childhood fantasy was shaken up.

I was given the Grimm's book of Fairy Tales for Christmas when I was nine and I read it all. the. time. My best friend Reni and I would read it at sleepovers and think about how grotesque the stories were, especially Cinderella. Actually, the thing I remember most about Snow White was that she was only seven. She must have grown up with the dwarves or been with her coffin for years, because she definitely was not old enough to get hitched when her mama threw her out.

I love fairy tales, mostly because they always change. That is the best part about them.

Also, I wished this had been discussed more in class.

I've been fairly bad about responding to readings on this blog, but not really. I just never label my responses to what I've been reading. So I should probably label this one.