Monday

Peaches and GRAIN.

Today we wrapped up our presentations and I've gotta admit... my group was definitely jinxed. Grain is not as fun as potatoes or pineapple or peaches, but especially peaches. Why? Because grain is not a fun part of pop culture, it's just a necessary staple of my diet (pretty much all I eat is grain because I LOVE it, but let's face it... Mario never had to save a Princess Grain.)

Speaking of, Mario Brothers is one big barrel of folklore. I grew up on Mario Brothers because my brothers LOVED it. Sometimes I got to play the Nintendo Games, but mostly I had to watch, and pretend to be Princess Peach (It was like this with everything: I was always April from TMNT or a girl ghost or Sigourney Weaver or the nerdy secretary from Ghostbusters or the one woman in Star Wars when we played them. But let me tell you, I played those roles vicariously). Princess Peach was vulnerable, which I did not like. This past weekend, my friend dressed as Luigi one night and as Mario the next. Children of the 80s grew up on Mario and they just can't help but love them... even though their action-adventure big screen debut tanked.

So why is food so important? Well, as anyone who has ever seen "Over the Hedge" know, humans live to eat. It's as simple as that. Or is it? No. Peaches are everywhere: Georgia Peaches, the peaches team in the Tom Hanks movie where he coaches an all woman's softball league during the war, the term "You're a peach". It's all over the place. I love it. But it's more of a fruit thing. I don't like slogans that talk about chocolate, because I get tired of chocolate (unless it's with peanut butter, which is my favorite food). But that is just how it goes. Fruit is supposed to be refreshing, to be cool, to be a little exotic even if it's cultivated in the United States. Sometimes it is in season and sometimes it is not. It's typically not something that is eaten every day (unless it is an apple or an orange). And that is why we like it.